Frequently Asked Questions

If you’ve been thinking about settling in Canada, did you know that there are many ways you can apply to become a PR? You may have heard of Express Entry and “PNP,” but there are other options as well that may be a better fit for your unique case. We will provide an overview of various immigration programs that allow you to move to Canada. We will also provide links to resources and tools that can help you get started with your application.

One of the most sought after and popular ways to immigrate to Canada, mainly due to its simplicity and quick processing timelines. Express Entry is ideal for skilled individuals who want to settle in Canada permanently. It has three immigration streams:

  •  Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) program: For applicants with significant foreign work experience and/or a high level of education.
  •  Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP): For skilled tradespeople.
  •  Canadian Experience Class (CEC): For foreign nationals who have been working in Canada for a period of at least one year.

PNP are primarily aimed at individuals who:

  •  Have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory;
  •  Intend to settle permanently in that province or territory; and Want to become permanent residents of Canada.
  •  Each province and territory has its own PNP streams (immigration programs that target certain groups such as new graduates, business people, skilled workers in specific professions, or semi-skilled workers) and unique requirements.

Family sponsorship provides a route for spouses, partners, children, parents, grandparents, and in certain cases, other relatives to live, work and study in Canada as PRs.

Canada’s Start-up Visa program was started in 2013 to encourage talented and ambitious entrepreneurs to start their business here, contribute to job growth, and help drive the economy. The process is intended to expedite immigration of foreign entrepreneurs or start-up founders who wish to establish and operate their business in Canada. The program grants permanent residence (PR) to successful applicants while also helping them become established in Canada through funding, guidance, and expertise in opening and operating an enterprise on Canadian soil.

The AIP program is a pathway to PR for skilled foreign workers and international graduates who want to live and work in one of Canada’s four Atlantic provinces: Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick.

Within AIP, there are three programs through which you can apply for a PR:

  •  Atlantic International Graduate Program: For those who have lived and studied in one of the Atlantic provinces.
  •  Atlantic High-skilled Program: For those who have a job offer from an employer taking part in the AIP by the Atlantic province where you’ll be working.
  •  Atlantic Intermediate-skilled Program: For those who have a job offer from an employer taking part in the AIP by the Atlantic province where you’ll be working. Additionally, you also need to have experience working at NOC skill level C or some select few occupations such as NOC skill level A 3012 or NOC skill level B 3233.

To study in Canada, you need to apply for a study permit. A study permit is a document that allows foreign nationals to study at a designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. Many students also see this as the first step in becoming PRs, and eventually, Canadian citizens.

A study permit is not a visa; it doesn’t let you enter Canada. Depending on your passport, you may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. Once your study permit is approved, the Government will issue a study permit approval letter and, if required, an entry visa in your passport, authorizing your travel to Canada.

A work permit allows you to work in Canada. Most people need a work permit to work in Canada. If you’re not sure whether you need one, find out if you need a work permit. Depending on whether you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), you may be eligible for a two-week processing under the Global Skills Strategy. For many professionals, a work permit is often the first step towards PR.

There are two types of work permits:

1. Open work permit An open work permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for an employer who is listed as ineligible. You can only get an open work permit in specific situations.

2. Employer-specific work permit An employer-specific work permit (sometimes called a closed work permit) allows you to work according to the conditions on your work permit, which includes the name of the employer you can work for, how long you can work, and the location where you can work (if applicable).

To become a Canadian citizen, you must

  •  be a permanent resident
  •  have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years
  •  have filed your taxes, if you need to
  •  pass a test on your rights, responsibilities and knowledge of Canada
  •  prove your language skills

Currently, most visitors to Canada may visit for up to six months when they first enter Canada. Visitors who wish to stay longer must apply for an extension, and pay a new fee.

With the parent and grandparent super visa, eligible parents and grandparents can visit family in Canada for longer periods of time than with a visitor visa.

The super visa is a multi-entry visa that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. The key difference is that the super visa allows an individual to stay for up to 5 years at a time in Canada, while a 10-year multiple entry visa would only have a status period for each entry of six months only.

You can check if a person is licensed to represent immigrants or to give advice.
Citizenship or immigration consultants must be a member of the College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants.

  • Subject
  • Immigration
  • Coaching
  • Services