Inside/outside of Canada: Study Permit and visa

In most cases, you must obtain a study permit if you want to study in Canada.

Eligibility to study in Canada:
  • You must have been accepted by a designated learning institution in Canada.
  • You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your:
    • tuition fees
    • living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada and
    • return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
  • You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
  • You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
  • You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
In some cases, you do not require a study permit to go to school in Canada:
  • If you wish to study in a short-term course or program.
  • Foreign representatives to Canada.
  • Members of foreign armed forces.
  • Foreign nationals who are Registered Indians in Canada.
**As of June 1, 2014, you may qualify to work off campus without a work permit. If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to**:
  • work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions; and
  • work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

For further information, please contact our office either by email or by phone.