Introduction of Family Sponsorship

You can sponsor a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, or child who lives outside Canada/ in Canada under the Family Class.

People may NOT BE ELIGIBLE to be a sponsor if you:
  • did not meet the terms of a sponsorship agreement in the past;
  • did not pay alimony or child support even though a court ordered it;
  • get social assistance for reasons other than being disabled;
  • were convicted of
    • a violent crime;
    • an offence against a relative that resulted in bodily harm; or
    • an attempt or threat to commit any such offences, depending on the details of the case, such as
      • the type of offence;
      • how long ago it occurred; and
      • whether a record suspension was issued (see Sponsorship bar for violent crime);
    • were sponsored as a spouse, common-law or conjugal partner in the past and became a permanent resident of Canada less than five years ago (see Five-year sponsorship bar);
    • did not pay back an immigration loan, made late payments or missed payments;
    • are in prison; or
    • have declared bankruptcy which has yet to be discharged.
People who CANNOT be Sponsored

You CANNOT be sponsored as a spouse, a common-law partner or a conjugal partner if:
  • you are under age 18;
  • you (or your sponsor) were married to someone else at the time of your marriage;
  • you have lived apart from your sponsor for at least one year, and either you or your sponsor are the common-law or conjugal partner of another person;
  • your sponsor applied for permanent residence but did not include you on their application as someone who should be examined; or
  • your sponsor has sponsored another spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner in the past, and three years have not passed since that person became a permanent resident (or five years if your application was received on or after March 2, 2012).

For further information, please contact our office either by email or by phone.