Minimum Requirements:
  • have at least 2 years or 24 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in a skilled trade within the 5 years before you apply;
  • meet the job requirements for that skilled trade as set out in the NOC, except for needing a certificate of qualification;
  • have an offer of full-time employment for a total period of at least one year or a certification qualification in that skilled trade issued by a Canadian provincial or territorial authority;
  • meet the required language levels;
  • CANNOT intend to live in Quebec.
Time Requirements:

Full time = 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
Part time = 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

Education Requirements:

There is NO education requirement for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. However, if you want to earn points for your education under Express Entry, you wither need:
  • a Canadian secondary (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree;
  • a completed foreign credential, and
  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by CIC
Language Requirements:
  • meet the minimum language level of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 for speaking and listening, and Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4 for reading and writing, AND
  • take a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada that shows you meet the level for speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Skilled work experience

Major and minor groups of the NOC under Federal Skilled Trades Program:
  • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades;
  • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades;
  • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production;
  • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators;
  • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks, and
  • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers.
Note: All above major NOC groups are subdivided into different occupations (All are NOC skill type B).

Be assessed by the province or territory

Find more details about whether you need a certificate of qualification to work in that province or territory in a specific skilled trade, and what you have to do to get one.
For further information, please contact our office either by email or by phone.