Live-in Caregiver Program

The Live-in Caregiver Program is CLOSED to new applicants.

Live-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. Live-in caregivers must live in the private home where they work in Canada.
  • Before hiring you, your employer must have:
    • applied to Employment and Social Development Canada / Service Canada (ESDC/SC) before November 30, 2014 to have their job offer reviewed; and
    • received a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC/SC.
  • You and your future employer are legally required to sign a written employment contract.
  • You must have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education (secondary school).
  • At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years
  • You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so that you can function on your own in your employer’s home.
  • To participate in the Live-in Caregiver Program, you must make an application for an initial live-in caregiver work permit at a visa office outside Canada.
***Notice: The Live-in Caregiver Program is closed to new applications. You can only hire a caregiver through the program if you have:
  • Found a caregiver who already has a work permit in the Live-in Caregiver Program and who is looking for a new employer and
  • Been approved for a Labour Market Impact Assessment that shows the caregiver has agreed to live in your home
If this does not apply to you, you can still hire a foreign caregiver (Click Here). You and the caregiver can decide if they will live in or out of your home. You will need to get a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Service Canada and the caregiver must apply for a regular work permit (Click Here).

For further information, please contact our office either by email or by phone.